Over a decade ago, I created a list of soft rules or things I wanted to live by. I wanted the list to be a guideline for how I’d deal with life, people, and experiences. Anyway, I checked out my old blog from 2009 and found the list. I updated it, so it will be more applicable to where my life is currently at. Here it goes:
1. If you want to understand a person, do not listen to what he says. Instead listen to what he does not say. Read between the lines and observe the way he says things.
2. The true value of a person is tested during the darkest times of his life.
3. When you keep putting off things for later, it will soon be too late to do something about it. So if you want to express your feelings, do it now before you lose the chance.
4. Each one of us is unique. We may find and meet people who are a lot like us, but they will never be us.
5. Always be the best version of yourself, and never settle for a second rate imitation of someone else.
6. Know all your strengths, and use them in a positive way.
7. Don’t be affected by the people who ridicule the choices you make.
8. You can never make your dreams happen if you don’t take chances.
9. Make mistakes, and learn something from every journey you take.
10. Take time to be alone every now and then.
11. Be honest with yourself. If you love someone, say it. It doesn’t matter if the person doesn’t feel the same. Surprisingly, unrequited love is easier to live with than unsolicited love.
12. Laugh and enjoy your life. When you’re old and you can no longer do the things you want, you will only have your memories of all your happy moments to get you through.
13. Bask in how beautiful nature can be. Remember that you are a part of it, and you are just as beautiful.
14. Never hesitate to help those less fortunate than you. It doesn’t necessarily have to be financial. Sometimes, the mere fact that you don’t leave their side when they are in need is so much more of a help than money can be.
15. Love is a decision. Love is never easy that’s why it should never be based on feelings alone.
16. We can never change reality, but we can change the way we look at it.
17. Enjoy the present and what you have now. It’s today that really matters. Yesterday can’t hurt you anymore, and tomorrow is still just an illusion.
18. Appreciate everything you have. You will never know when these things will be taken away.
19. I believe that there is a whole new world hidden in the heart of each and every person. It is up to us to work out a way in discovering it and enjoying the marvels of their secret oceans and hidden mountains.
20. There is nothing in this world more beautiful than the sunset.