I was browsing through my ebooks earlier today when I chanced upon Paulo Coelho’s book, 11 Minutes. I remember it took me a very long time to finish the book. It was unsual because I normally finish books in less than a day. It was more unual because I’ve always loved Coelho’s books and I never put them down once I start reading.
But this book was very different. For the first few pages, I was really bored. I felt like I’ve read better books before, and I was surprised that I wasn’t enjoying my favorite author at all. However, I kept the faith and read on. Coelho didn’t become my favorite author for no reason, so I kept telling myself that I will get to the part, eventually.
And I did. I did not even know I was already enjoying the book. All I knew was that I could not stop reading anymore, and I started taking notes of the lines that touched me the most. I realized then that this was one of the books I’d read over and over again.
For today, I would like to share the most unforgettable lines from 11 Minutes. These lines have a universal truth in them. At one point or another, we all experience the same things that were described in the novel. If, by any weird chance, you have read the book yet, then you should scour the internet fot an ebook, or head to your favorite bookstore and grab your own copy. You’re going to need it because this book is one that you will keep on reaching for whenever you feel the need to read about love, sex, and relationships.
1. Really important meetings are planned by the souls long before the bodies see each other.
2. Anyone who is in love is making love the whole time, even the they’re not.
3. The strongest love is the love that can demonstrate its fragility.
4. At every moment of our lives we all have one foot in a fairy tale and the other in the abyss.
5. Sometimes you get no second chance and that it’s best to accept the gifts the world offers you.
6. If I must be faithful to someone or something, then I have, first of all, to be faithful to myself.
7. It is not time that changes man, nor knowledge; the only thing that can change someone’s mind is love.
8. Humans can withstand a week without water, two weeks without food, many years of homelessness, but not loneliness. It is the worst of all tortures, the worst of all sufferings.
9. All my life, I thought of love as some kind of voluntary enslavement… Freedom only exists when love is present. The person who gives him or herself wholly, the person who feels freest, is the person who loves the most.
10. In love, no one can harm anyone else; we are each of us responsible for our own feelings and cannot blame someone else for what we feel.
11. No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it.
12. The great aim of every human being is to understand the meaning of total love. Love is not to be found in someone else, but in ourselves; we simply awaken it. But in order to do that, we need the other person. The universe only makes sense when we have someone to share our feelings with.
13. Profound desire, true desire is the desire to be close to someone.
14. What is real always finds a way of revealing itself.
15. The most important experiences a man can have are those that take him to the very limit; that is the only way we learn, because it requires all our courage.
16. When a teacher helps someone to discover something, the teacher always learns something new too.
17. Pain and suffering are used to justify the one thing that brings only joy: love.
18. I can choose either to be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It’s all a question of how I view my life.
19. In all the languages in the world, there is the same proverb: ‘What the eyes don’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve over.’ Well, I say that there isn’t an ounce of truth in it. The further off they are, the closer to the heart are all those feelings that we try to repress and forget. If we’re in exile, we want to store away every tiny memory of our roots. If we’re far from the person we love, everyone we pass in the street reminds us of them.